Monday, October 1, 2012

"EAT" DIY Anthropolgie Inspired Zinc Letters


So by now we've probably ALL seen this project on Pinterest or another blog, but this is my version so  I'll post about it anyways. 
Lately, I've been looking for ways to accessorize my home and give it some personality. I love the look of the Anthropolgie zinc letters, but I'm cheap and would not pay $18 per letter, just to stick them above my cabinets where they will essentially just collect dust. So during my time scouring pinterest, I ran across the DIY version of these letters and figured I'd give it a whirl. 
I went to Hobby Lobby and each of the paper mache letters were 30% off of $2.47 making all 3 cost just $5.

So I started with the bare letters and laid them out on a paper bag on my wet lawn.


I then used some Rustoleum Satin Nickel Metallic Spray Paint that we had leftover from a cabinet hardware project (I'll share that later.)


I then gave each side a couple good coats. Id like to say that each coat was sprayed evenly and that I waited patiently for each coat to dry, but I did not, I'm impatient, and told myself that the globs of paint in certain areas would give it a more legit metal appearance. Of course, nothing is ever easy and since this was leftover spray paint, I ran out in the middle of the project and had to go to Home Depot for a new can.



I then let the letters dry just long enough to not stick to the counters thoroughly, and placed them above my kitchen cabinets.


Overall I'm pretty happy with how they turned out, especially for a project that only cost about $12 total.  However, because they are high up, and I'm not 6'4 like my husband, I can sometimes only see the top part of the letters and the word "FAT" stares down at me. Maybe this was the best addition to my kitchen that I could have ever thought of, lets see if any weight loss occurs. Doubt it, but I'll keep you posted.


No comments:

Post a Comment